groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: [ANN] New committer: Shil Sinha
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2015 15:52:39 GMT
On Tue, 2015-10-20 at 19:05 +0200, Thibault Kruse wrote:
> […]
>
> BTW: I prefer a model where committers are also supposed to go
> through
> pull request / review processes. I believe that does not decrease
> productivity, but has a range of beneficial effects. Becoming a
> committer should ideally just mean the ability to approve and merge
> other people's pull requests/patches.

I suggest this is very important. The act of creating a change to the
code base is a different role to committing a change to the mainline.
People who have commit rights to the mainline should only ever be
committing pull requests that have been reviewed.

If committers side-step the pull request phase in a project such as
Apache Groovy, then we have the situation that "all changesets are
equal, but some are more equal than others".

--
Russel.