groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Thibault Kruse <tibokr...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Failing Groovysh Test with JDK 9 SNAPSHOT on Buildserver
Date Sun, 06 Sep 2015 14:29:30 GMT
I believe this kind of error normally only happens when java in
invoking native C/C++ code.

I could reproduce locally on java-9-oracle 9.0-b78 with either:
./gradlew :groovy-groovysh:test -Pindy=true.

Also I could sometimes reproduce like this:
./gradlew :groovy-console:test -Pindy=true

Running individual test classes only does not seem to reproduce the
error. Reducing the number of tested classes reduces the likelyhood of
the filure occuring (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenbug).

Even worse, re-running the command does not guarantee to reproduce the
failure, in particular the console tests were fickle in that respect.
I tried to remove some test classes to get a smaller set, but at some
point the failure would not reoccur, even when restoring all test
classes and running a clean build.

That points to something like a race condition, or GC-related, or some
other Voodoo (like http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/197).

I could reproduce going back to
9148f794c168b531d0 2015-03-15 09:25:12 Merge branch 'GROOVY_2_4_X'
(by backporting a jdk9 fix from 83d680877c440)

So this is not related to any recent commit. Also this means I have
checked many gradle versions, and it's not related to any recent
change of gradle versions.

So I believe this looks like either a bug in java9 or an
incompatibility with Java9 of groovy or any library used during
testing.

I think it would be worth reporting this at http://bugreport.java.com/.