groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] What about moving out teh Incubator ?
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2015 23:56:26 GMT
On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 03:33PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 3:23 PM, C├ędric Champeau
> <cedric.champeau@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ....One exit criteria is "growing the community", and growing
> > the community means finding new "committers", aka, people committed to the
> > project. And The definition here of committer binds it to having write
> > access to the repository, which has nothing to do with it IMHO....
>
> You are technically correct but giving those people commit access to
> the repository, as part of making them committers, doesn't hurt.
>
> It's useful for 99% for them and for the others it's not a problem -
> we trust them not to touch what they don't master (like any committer)
> and worst case version control is our friend.
>
> So having two different roles for "coding committers" and "non-coding
> committers" would complicate things while bringing no tangible
> benefit.
>
> Basically, if you think someone is committed to Groovy and deserves to
> be listed as such, make them committers, as there's no better role
> here and the coding or non-coding distinction is not useful.

What Bertrand said. This topic has been discussed at length multiple times on
a couple of lists. dev@community.a.o and, IIRC, general@incubator.a.o are
coming to mind. And the consensus was as above: the extra procedural
bureaucracy doesn't solve anything.

Quick search will help you to find the threads, in case you care to look them
up.

Thanks,
  Cos