groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Henrik Martin <hen...@netgate.net>
Subject Re: Remove Version from File Names in Distributions; Add Manifest
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2015 21:04:14 GMT

On 7/28/15 8:55 AM, Jeff Adamson wrote:
> My non-contributor $0.02 would be exactly the opposite Henrik, for
> very similar reasons.
>
> I would agree that the embeddable jar should include version number by
> default because that is supposed to be dropped around, but the rest of
> the lib is already version locked to a groovy version. If someone is
> mucking around with the directory contents of the groovy lib, they
> already have made a bad decision causing drift from a traceable setup.
Not sure what you mean by the "embeddable jar", but it sounds to me like
you're arguing for having two different conventions then. Some jar files
with version numbers, and some without. I'd rather have consistency.
Virtually every jar file in existence these days is built by either
Maven, Gradle, or some similar build/dependency management tools. Since
the default behavior of these tools is to version the archives, it seems
counter productive to move away from that. Like it or not, but it has
become the industry standard.
> The very argument of the maven-gradle shows how having version numbers
> adds a burden to other processes. Now the build-system and non-maven
> consumers of the jars need specific specialized (but common) logic to
> do something that has negligible benefit. Do you trust your dependency
> system to have pulled the correct versions or not? If you don't, then
> you should look into other dependency management tools.
I would argue that in Steve's use case, they've added the burden by not
utilizing the build system to do the dependency management. It seems a
lot easier and a lot less error prone, to simply have your build system
download the correct Groovy version and ensure that the build depends on
that version only, rather than pushing out zip archives, unzipping them,
and then having scripts deal with stripping out the version numbers from
the jars. That seems like a much more brittle and error prone system
than simply using something like Gradle. In the most recent environments
I've worked, we've used Gradle to ensure that all developers depend on
the same versions of all build files, whether or not we're building from
the command line or from within the IDE. No need for symlinks (which
aren't that portable anyway) or renaming of anything. Our developers use
various versions of Windows, MacOS, and Linux. It would be a much harder
task to follow Steve's practice of managing symlinks across several
different types of OS'es and numerous flavors of those.
> The authoritative place for version meta-data is in the jar file, not
> it's name; there even is a standard place for this MANIFEST.MF.
The problem with the manifest is that in order to read it, you have to
unzip the archive. How many tools out there actually utilize that
feature in reality? A jar file is an archive, not much different from
any other archive type like tar, etc. Most archives contain the version
information in the file name.
> I remember the 90's being the era when the fashion was to jam every
> bit of meta-data was jammed in file names (see cvs or tarball
> versioning), not the other way around. Maven is from 2001, therefore
> it seems more correct to attribute version numbering file names to be
> a hold-over from the 90s.
> --Jeff
I don't remember seeing much of jar file naming with version information
from the 90s, but hey, it's been a while. Maybe my memory is failing me :-)

-H