groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: Notices and Licenses
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2015 04:53:53 GMT

I have now removed the notices for "permissive" licenses and adopted short-form
license referencing where possible.

As part of doing this, I noticed that the grooid jars aren't in the binary zip.
I made a grooid directory (similar to indy) and put the jars in there. I also
removed the openbeans jar from the lib directory since it is embedded in
the grooid jars and I don't believe used anywhere else.

Unless I hear any corrections/objections, I'll merge latest changes back onto
the 2_4_X branch.

Cheers, Paul.

On 21/07/2015 10:24 PM, Paul King wrote:

> I updated the updateLicense task in assemble.gradle (now called updateLicenses) and added
an updateNotices task.

> If adding/deleting files which have special license requirements you should place/remove
the appropriate notice and license information in the root project's notices and licenses
directories (follow the conventions of other files), re-run those gradle tasks and then commit
the resulting generated files. See also, the readme.txt files in those directories. In some
cases, you might need to tweak the assemble.gradle file.

> Please feel free to review the logic used in those task definitions and the current generated
licenses and notice files. Let me know if you spot any errors or anything missing.

> What's still left to do?
>
> * Over time we might want to push some of the license/notice generation down into subprojects
and then auto aggregate.

> * We might be able to remove some notice info I put in for "deemed-permissive" licenses.
Still working on that - might need clarification from Apache legal.

> * Using short-form references to licenses is preferred over including full licenses.
We should be able to tweak things to use the short-form (at least in some places to start
with).

> * I was going to do a bit more checking for any bubble-up license/notice requirements
from our binary dependencies. So far, I think we might be missing a CDDL license for servlet-api
(used by groovy-servlet) and the public domain license for jsr166y (used by GPars). I'll keep
investigating.

> Cheers, Paul.
>
> ---

---