groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Laforge <glafo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Groovy not allowed to include its "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License" licensed documentation in the distribution? (was: Re: [Apache Creadur/RAT-206] Request to add support for Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike / what LICENSE snippet to scan for?)
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2015 07:45:06 GMT

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Pascal Schumacher
> <pascalschumacher@gmx.net> wrote:
> > ...from this discussion and
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-167 I
> > deduct, that Groovy can not include its "Creative Commons
> > Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License" licensed documentation in
> the
> > distribution. Is that correct?...
>
> That's my understanding, as "share alike" defines restrictions that
> the Apache License does not have.
>
> Is it possible to relicense the Groovy docs to Apache License? That
> looks like the simplest way to solve this.

Well, it's painful, time-consuming, boring, etc... but we might be able to
get the 20 or so folks who contributed the docs to agree to relicense.

But the CC-SA 3.0 is not a viral license like (L)GPL can be, it's just
about the documentation, it's not saying anything about the code base which
has nothing to do with the documentation (it's not as if Groovy source code
was depending on documentation, like source code can depend on an GPL
library, for instance, so it's not infecting the code with those terms).

Am I wrong?

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Laforge