groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject java parser usage in Groovy
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2015 04:22:49 GMT
Hi all,

we do currently use java parsers in 3 places kind of. One is through
Qdox for GroovyDoc, one is for joint compilation through javac and
another is the java-to-groovy tool (or did we remove that?) which uses
an antlrv2 based parser.

Now in the long term we want to move to antlr4 of course, but also I am
unhappy with the stub generator based compiler we have for joint
compilation. And since cooperation tries with javac failed I think it is
now time to use an alternative approach and parse the java files
ourselves... Especially now, that we have those class file readers
(special thanks to Peter Gromov).

Now... there are BSD licenses antlr4 java parser available. There is
also the yacc based (and java generating) parser from qdox. The question
would be which one to use.

Assuming we would use the qdox parser, I would need to make modification
to be able to use it for joint compilation... specifically in the class
resolution parts. I am not sure this would be still an extension or grow
into a fork of qdox.

Assuming I would use a stripped down antlr4 java parser, the question
would be if we wanted to replace qdox or keep it. I mean if we have our
own parser, then it is a small step to also analyse the comments with it.

So what do you guys think?

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou