groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jars in disguise (was: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating)
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2015 21:00:08 GMT
Le 15/06/15 22:17, Cédric Champeau a écrit :
> My understanding is that since those jars are for tests, it is OK to keep
> them as long as we:
>
> - have a Rat rule that explicitly states why those jars are there
> - have a JIRA ticket that we can point people at when they ask

This is also my understanding. Now, the jars provenance has to be
explicited, so that anyone getting Groovy can know where they are coming
from, what is the license they are bound with, etc.

Ypu have to understand where those rules are coming from : we want to be
sure that we are not contaminated by any license like GPL/LGPL, but more
important, we want to be sure none of our users has the irsk of being
contaminated themselves. This is quite clear : a company or foundation
(owning a coponent we are embedding) who would like to sue someone will
*not* sue the ASF, but instead some company using our software :they do
have money, we don't. The impact would be devastating for The ASF though
: we would not be a trustable source for Open Source software .

So we prefer to be extra cautious here.

The ideal situation would be to create those jars in teh process, before
using them in a test.

My perception of the pb.