groovy-dev mailing list archives

From David Dawson <david.daw...@simplicityitself.com>
Subject Re: CharSequence.count(Closure)
Date Fri, 22 May 2015 14:19:07 GMT
Apols for hijacking this a little, but it's related! (honest)

I've been thinking recently about the setup of Groovy and particularly the
extension methods. For questions like this, it would seem sensible to build
an extension method to do it, but currently the expected place is to put it
into Groovy itself. Therefore needing a release of Groovy to incorporate it.

Now that the extension method API is well understood and seemingly stable,
would it be feasible to separate the lifecycle of the extension methods/
GDK out from the Groovy runtime itself?

That way Peters proposed extension could be implemented there without
needing an upgrade of Groovy itself, and could then be usable on older
versions of the language.

Sound sane at all?

--
David Dawson