groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?
Date Wed, 20 May 2015 22:21:13 GMT
On 20/05/2015 5:36 AM, C├ędric Champeau wrote:
> I wanted to check with you what is preventing us from releasing 2.4.4. [...]

I have a question for our mentors around licensing. Just a point of clarification
for the official source distribution zip. We have a number of dependencies
which our build brings in and we have incorporated the appropriate license
information from those dependencies into our LICENSE and NOTICE files.
I believe this is exactly appropriate for the binary artifacts (jars) our
build produces and for the convenience binaries we will make available (since
those artifacts contain software in binary form from the respective dependency
projects). This complies with the wording in those licenses similar to:

"... Redistribution and use in source and binary forms ... are permitted
  provided that the following conditions are met:
  * Redistributions of source code must retain the [various license information]
  * Redistributions in binary form must retain the [various license information]"

In our case it is the binary form that is relevant. All good so far.

The point of clarification is about the source distribution zip itself.
Take ASM or ANTLR as an example. There is no source or binary artifacts
from those projects anywhere in our source zip. The build brings down the
needed binaries at build time which we subsequently bundle into our
produced binary artifacts. So, back to the wording above, there is
definitely no "redistribution" of source or binary but the fact that our
build goes on to incorporate said dependencies, does that count as "use"?

So, should the ASM/ANTLR etc. license info appear in the LICENSE/NOTICE
files in the root of our source distribution zip? We currently do include
them but I am conscious of the need to keep those files containing just
the required information and no more.

Thanks, Paul.

---