groovy-dev mailing list archives

From C├ędric Champeau <cedric.champ...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Gradle Wrapper
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2015 07:24:52 GMT
Actually Kafka doesn't download the wrapper. The README tells you to
download Gradle and install the wrapper. And there's no guarantee that it
will be the same version. And that's what I mean by "defeating the
concept". If you have to have a build script for Windows and *nix that
downloads the wrapper which is itself meant to download the right version
of Gradle so that you guarantee that you can build on the right version of
the tool, it's a total non-sense. Why not having a script that downloads
the script that downloads the script to download the wrapper? :)

Not being able to include the wrapper in the source release is a big step
backwards. Anyway if we cannot keep it in the source zip (which would be
very unfortunate) I would rather vote on keeping it in Git, and when we do
a release not include it and instead generate a README that tells you
*which* version of Gradle to install to be able to reproduce the build.