groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Cédric Champeau <cedric.champ...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: GGTS/ Eclipse support for the groovy ecosystem
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2015 20:28:12 GMT

> I really think that Groovy can't shine without a good support from the
> (probably most) widely used IDE out there, Eclipse, so I really hope that
> this is taken in deep consideration by the Groovy team.
>
> It is, but there's no such thing as the Groovy team anymore. There's
Apache Groovy and the community is the team. As such, anyone can (and
should) contribute. Groovy Eclipse might become a subproject if Groovy goes
TLP. In any case, I will personally have no time to work on Eclipse
support, and probably neither will any of the current committers. As I said
Pivotal is willing to help to transfer support for Groovy Eclipse, and it
will also be necessary for example for Gradle support. So yes, it is
critical, but with so many users I am confident that a solution will be
found.

And no, I can't switch to another IDE because of Groovy, for many reasons.
> The number of Eclipse tools and plugins we use is significant and I can't
> force the whole company to change IDE just because of Groovy support from
> it. No offence, but if I really have to make a choice here, I'm sorry to
> say that I must choose to drop Groovy and replace it with Java (or some
> other alternative).

That would be unfortunate and one of the biggest issues with Pivotal
dropping sponsorship, but if at least some of the companies which make
business out of Groovy could dedicate some resources to work on Eclipse
support it would help. That's also what Apache is for.