groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Cédric Champeau <cedric.champ...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GGTS/ Eclipse support for the groovy ecosystem
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2015 13:35:19 GMT

> Out of interest is there anywhere to read why this is the case? (patches
> that can't be applied to the mainline).
>
> Not wanting to rehash, just gain a little context if that's alright...
>
> There are multiple things actually. First is a dependency on the Eclipse
API and something that makes the Groovy class node look like  Eclipse Java
class nodes for example. We don't want to add a dependency on the Eclipse
API in Groovy. It would dramatically increase the size of the compiler, and
it's a no go for some domains like Android support. Second is a series of
patches for Eclipse to be able to recover when there are errors in the file
(fault tolerant grammar) because you don't want to crash Eclipse when you
start writing code and didn't put a closing bracket yet ;) There are more
things but I don't recall the details, I will try to find a link, I know
there was one bigger description of the issues.