groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: New Workflow…
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 05:11:51 GMT
On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Russel Winder <russel@winder.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-04-27 at 19:45 +0200, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> […]
>> To be clear (or to clarify what I mean) :
>> - ctr and rct are both way to process an update *for committers*. For
>> contributors, a review is necessary, of course. I may have made things
>> blurry in my previous mails.
>
> I fear there is a very CVCS definition of "committer" implicit in the
> above. In DVCS the roles of committer and contributor are clearly distinct.
> A committer is a person who enacts a reviewed contribution, and only that.
> All contributions should be reviewed, even those of a committer. This is
> about roles being distinct from people. A person may be a committer and a
> contributor but the workflow of that person as contributor should be
> identical to that of Joe or Jane Bloggs providing a contribution.

I think this is even more complex. There's a role (that git doesn't recognize)
that of a pusher. Committer and author identities can be easily spoofed. This
is one of the biggest reasons we have to maintain full push logs to be able
to tell how a certain piece of code come into an ASF repository.

Thanks,
Roman.