groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Miller <miller.geoffrey...@gmail.com>
Subject I would like to commit to the Groovy Project
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:17:24 GMT
To Whom it May Concern,

My name’s Geoffrey. I’m new to the Apache Incubator. I hope I’m using the email subscription
process the right way. The Groovy project intrigues me, and I’d love to be involved in developing
a new programming language.

My academic background is all-inclusive and well suited to projects that are situated at the
intersection of multiple fields. While fulfilling the requirements of a B.S. degree in mathematics
and computer science, I wrote an anthology of short stories on the problem of evil for an
undergraduate honors thesis. During my studies to earn an M.S. degree in mathematics, I acquired
a minor in physics. For my master's thesis, I helped design and program an NSF-funded nonstandard
photolithography tool for micro-patterning on non-flat substrates. I have participated in
professional research on topics ranging from Lie algebras to comparative religion.

My career interests are similarly diverse. In addition to teaching, I very much enjoy coding
and technical writing. I would love to pursue a career as a software engineer. I have experience
in C, C++, C#, Java, LabVIEW, Mathematica, R, SPSS, Web site design, and database languages
like SQL. As a mathematics educator, I also plan to develop instructional techniques that
will help instill a deep appreciation for mathematics and problem solving in students.

My greatest asset is profound adaptability. Because I am unable to walk or to use my hands
effectively, I must rely on my imagination and ingenuity to gain respect in my community and
to complete everyday tasks. My lived experience as a wheelchair-user has led me to view problem
solving as a way of life and a path to empowerment. Nothing will ever hold me back from achieving
my goals. As an Eagle Scout, I know I can soar high above whatever difficult terrain life
throws at me.

Sincerely,
Geoffrey Miller
(512) 767-9309