groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: New Workflow…
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2015 09:53:17 GMT
Am 27.04.2015 11:12, schrieb Emmanuel Lécharny:
[...]
> And it took weeks of work to find a new home and to migrate everything.
> Something you want to do again ?

If it had been only the git repo it would not have taken weeks. It took
weeks because there is a community, there are mailing lists and bug
tracker with extensive history. Both things git does not really provide
(I don't consider the github bug tracker a suitable tool for bigger
projects).

>> In git everyone has the full repo locally as well, as long as it is
>> updated. You can do shallow copies in git, but they are not standard.
>
> Standard for The ASF means something that we can bring to a juge, if
> needed. This is quite complicated to guarantee if we don't have the main
> repo in our walls.

which is difficult to understand, since there is no reason given for a
why and what exactly is missing. in other words: details.

[...]
>>> Last, not least, we protect *committers* against any legal action,
>>> committers being voted people. Being able to give access to a selected
>>> number of person who have signed a CCLA/ICLA is a key for The ASF,
>>> something you are not likely to be able to enforce in github (and if you
>>> can, again, we have no guarantee we can control such protecion for ever)
>>
>> Well, following this strictly we should never ever merge pull requests
>> from github
>
> Why ? The committer who push such pull request does it under his own
> responsability...

which means, that in such a project there is no protection for the
committer in the end

>>> Hope it clarifies why we push commits to the ASF Git repository.
>>
>> You mean clarifies why we have to push commits to the ASF Git
>> repository as primary repository.... and not really to be frank.
>
> Sorry, but I don't see what is your problem them, beside some
> philosophical aspects...

As long as there is no comparable tool for pre-commit reviews and easy
usage on ASF, there is a practical acceptance problem. That's all.

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou