groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: GGTS/ Eclipse support for the groovy ecosystem
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:43:27 GMT
Am 13.04.2015 15:33, schrieb David Dawson:
[...]
> I think there is space for something extra, some organisation or other that
> can manage and hopefully funnel funding to this kind of thing. That would
> give me an easier time to put some cash in without having to try and fund
> someone full time. With enough companies, and individuals perhaps, we could
> fund this up?

As I already said, it is not only a thing of money. You need knowledge
about internals of JDT, Eclipse and the Groovy compiler to make things
work. The last we can help with, the former two not. And even if I did
help with the plugin in the past (before SpringSource) that was in a
phase when it could not do much more than syntax highlighting. We are
definitely beyond that level, and so is my ability to help with that.
And I am pretty sure it is the same for Guillaume, Cedric and Paul. So
if we find someone doing this, we can talk about funding.

> Maybe Object Computing will be interested now they've got some Grails
> support?  I'll try to get in touch.

worth a try.

> For the Apache members reading, do you know of any existing model being
> applied for broader community funding of a project?  Beyond a single
> company paying for something, or some behemoth stepping in. It'd be
> interesting to get some feedback on this conundrum if there's some
> experience elsewhere.

You need another organization for this. For example the Software Freedom
Conservancy could help here

bye Jochen

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou