groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Mauro Molinari <mauro...@tiscali.it>
Subject Re: Re: GGTS/ Eclipse support for the groovy ecosystem
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2015 14:49:51 GMT
@Davide: maybe this document can give you some more insight:
https://github.com/groovy/groovy-eclipse/wiki/Updating-the-groovy-in-groovy-eclipse

@all: please don't forget that Groovy is used in Eclipse even when not
with Grails.
I mean, I've started to introduce Groovy in my team to write unit tests
and other kind of specific code (JSF backing beans and service classes,
for instance) for which I think that Groovy can give a good boost to
productivity. I spent however a lot of time to struggle against Groovy
static compilation bugs and (particularly) with the uncountable
Groovy-Eclipse bugs and now that Pivotal announced they stopped to
support the whole Groovy ecosystem I'm really disappointed, but above
all worried about the future.
I mean, I know Groovy now has already a new home at Apache, however I
never had a real fear for it, since I think it already has a good team
behind it and a vibrant ecosystem built on top of it. What really scares
me is that, in contrast, the development efforts on the Groovy-Eclipse
plugin have always be little to nothing: the plugin has always suffered
from severe problems, but after Pivotal had took it and I could talk to
Andy Clement to highlight some of them, it received a good boost from 3
new developers that were put to work on the plugin. This until some
months ago, when development stopped again... and now the complete drop
by Pivotal :-(

I've read a lot about Groovy and Grails future, but almost no word about
future Groovy support for the Eclipse platform.

I really think that Groovy can't shine without a good support from the
(probably most) widely used IDE out there, Eclipse, so I really hope
that this is taken in deep consideration by the Groovy team.

And no, I can't switch to another IDE because of Groovy, for many
reasons. The number of Eclipse tools and plugins we use is significant
and I can't force the whole company to change IDE just because of Groovy
support from it. No offence, but if I really have to make a choice here,
I'm sorry to say that I must choose to drop Groovy and replace it with
Java (or some other alternative).

Thanks a lot.
Mauro