groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: New Workflow…
Date Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:01:38 GMT

<<ezmlm rejected this post of 6 days ago earlier today :-(>>

On Sun, 2015-04-19 at 12:54 -0700, Andrew Bayer wrote:
> I'm working on getting Gerrit going here. Until then, all commits
> must be
> made to the ASF repo - we have legal requirements around
> traceability, push
> logs, etc that, as of now, GitHub can't satisfy, so all ASF projects
> are
> required to push all commits directly to the ASF-hosted repositories.

Good to hear that ASF will be supporting a Git/Gerrit-based workflow.
I think this will be good for Groovy and all the other projects moving
from Subversion to Git. Sadly I think most people using Git should be
using Mercurial, but…

I am not sure I understand why a Git commit made directly to an ASF
repository is any less traceable, logged etc. than a commit made by
the same person on GitHub and then mirrored to ASF. I appreciate that
ASF has a legal requirement of traceability, but I question that
GitHub merging mirrored to ASF is any more or less traceable than
merging on a personal machine and pushed to ASF. The ASF Git
repository will have the same changesets.

I guess the difference could be that the ASF makes use of
sophisticated hooks to create more detailed logs of activity at ASF
that is obtainable via Git per se. My worry is that this is formally
vacuous as real data for traceability, but that it satisfies some
abstract legal need that is not actually being met but appears to be.

--
Russel.