groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: GGTS/ Eclipse support for the groovy ecosystem
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2015 18:01:28 GMT
On Mon, 2015-04-06 at 17:38 +0200, Cédric Champeau wrote:
[…]
> As for maintaining Groovy Eclipse (not GGTS), we should really try
> to find
> a new team capable of handling this. It is basically a set of patches
> applied on the Groovy compiler (that cannot be integrated into the
> normal
> compiler for a lot of different reasons), and it needs a good
> knowledge of
> Eclipse. Once we find those people (that's a call!), I know that the
> current Groovy Eclipse maintainers at Pivotal are willing to help to
> transfer knowledge.
[…]

I too am not really an Eclipse user, but there is a collection of
people using it as their only IDE. Many of them are getting into
Gradle (I am doing some Gradle workshops shortly to such people).

The Eclipse Gradle plugin is currently a Pivotal thing, I hope that
Gradleware will take over management of this.

Eclipse with Gradle can be used without the Groovy plugin, but it
seems very clunky to do this, it all works better if both the Gradle
and Groovy plugins are in place.

As Jon Kerridge pointed out in another thread, and I can attest to
personally, the snapshot Groovy plugin supports Groovy 2.4 and seems
to work well. It needs to be released and framework put in place to
manage the ongoing evolution alongside Groovy.

I wonder if the Groovy (and Gradle?) plugin perhaps needs to become an
Eclipse project in an analogous way that Groovy became an Apache one.

--
Russel.