gossip-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Leave apache and the incubator
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2018 13:18:01 GMT
All,

It was a sizable effort moving everything Gossip into the incubator. Thank
you all for your help along the way. Recently activity has slowed down,
much of this falls on me.

My opinion is gossip would be much better off moving back to github and be
independently hosted (by me or someone else) I believe for the following
reasons:

Infrastructure:

AAA
I forgot my password and when I clicked the "FORGOT MY PASSWORD" link I got
back a PGP email. No instructions in the email, lol city. I had to google
around ASFs site to try to figure out what to do. Try googling 'pgp lost
password' on apache's docs and figuring out what you need to do.

Releases:
The release process for most Java projects using maven 'mvn release:clean
&& mvn release:prepare && mvn release:perform". Hosting is free and sign up
takes less then a day. Apache incubator wants to see releases as a sign of
health, yet the release process is involved. We have to do the maven steps,
generate an email with the checksums of all critical files, post a vote on
the incubator list, release the artifacts to central, and copy them to an
svn directory.

That is a vote across 2 mailing lists. and all the maven steps, and other
manual steps, and that does not even count getting the website changed. For
me what is a 5 minute thing turns into a days long process. The net result
is we have features in trunk not in the release because doing a release is
just a drag. No one is even half interested in taking on this process and I
only did it because it is the only way.

Community:
Apache incubator is about building communities.
Mailing list
The mailing list is fairly opaque to me. I am sure there is some way to
figure out what the subscriber base is but I don't know it.

Jira
Jira is great tool but the implementation slows people down. New users have
to sign up, and they are unable to assign themselves tickets until I
navigate into JIRA and add them to a group. With open source and attracting
contributors it helps to be able to strike while the iron is hot. Having
users confused as to weather they can start on a task does not help with
that.

GIT
Apache has git but not github is only a mirror. When I have to merge
peoples stuff I have to do it by hand with git commands. (No squash and
merge button)

Updating the site:
Another series of obscure svn commands, making simple things hard, (much
like the release process)

Reports
I get an 4-5 emails at different rates titled "Incubator Report Due" at
different rates. Only one of them is for this project. We were never great
with reports. Almost all the info in the report could be automatically
generated. We missed a report, we got placed onto a report now do every
month category.

The last one was due yesterday, sorry I was enjoying a hotdog at a bbq, I
went to fill it out today and, saw yet another email chain on the incubator
list about how Gossip should leave apache. The report is just another huge
time suck, the time I spend doing it I could be doing an hour of code
review.

Even though some things are in the incubator 7 years, and some apache TLPs
have no activity Gossip out of the incubator seems to be a constant thing
for some....

So lets get out of here.