gossip-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Leave apache and the incubator
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2018 20:06:36 GMT
Sree,

I appreciate your input and the work you did building the docs.

The docs are yet another challenge for the project. In particular I tried
this a few times before. I was unable to build the docs on my system and I
was unable to build the docs on the ASF hardware where I can have a shell
account. I am not trying to say the process was impossible to figure out,
IE I am sure if I spent a few hours here and there installing Ruby and JDK
6 (which the process seemed to require). I could have gotten it working.
However the overall theme is that since you set up the docs, no one has
done anything to them accept making small changes when our releases were
done.

I was not super eager to move out because most people do not realized that
back in the day I had to go schedule a "key signing party". Literally, I
had to have web video conference with P. Taylor, we waved our drivers
license back and forth at each other just, so he can sign my key, so I can
get the first release out the door.  Also during the move I had to create
JIRA tickets and get myself the right "karma" just do execute step x or
step y. Yes, I devoted a lot of time into the project. Including mentioning
two GSOC students last year, but it is a 'WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME
LATELY?' world.

Understandably the incubator PMC sees low/no activity and the project, and
that is undeniable.  For the project to be healthy it needs be able to
survive independent of a single person. It can not be promises to do
something later.

I do believe this would be easier outside of the incubator, ie pull
requests, one click merge, adding a collaborator with an invite vs voting,
sending singing, ICLA.

If we want to stick out the incubator the proof is in the pudding. We have
several open tickets currently that range from trivially to complex
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/GOSSIP/issues/GOSSIP-35?filter=allopenissues.
Lets get things reviewed and merged, before next report which is  < 1 month
away. Chandresh and myself have commit and authoritative +1 others can
attach unofficial +1 to reviews.  If we are rolling up on the report date
and we do not have serious activity that speaks for itself.