gora-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Gora March board report (draft)
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 17:59:18 GMT
OK then.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) <
chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> One option is simply to remove the sqlbuilder library
> and to replace SqlStore with stubbed out methods that throw Exceptions
> and that simply don't work. Then we ship Gora 0.2, with a note saying
> don't use SqlStore.

+1 I will get this sorted out shortly subject to other comments that come
through in the interim.

> Then if folks complain and want to use it, we ask that
> they help to write the method implementations using an ALv2 compatible
> library.

yep

> Would Derby be useful here, or Hypersonic SQL? Both of those
> are ALv2 compatible I think.

Well the benefit of rewriting the gora-sql module to utilise JOOQ was that
it would provide a common interface which supported many underlying sql
store implementations. The reason that the specific DDL statements which we
require are not currently implemented in JOOQ is that Lukas has not been
able to identify a common way of doing this in the framework yet. I think
it is beneficial for us to aspire to have a great gora-sql module, but it
is not good for this to block a release, especially as most of us are not
using this module, and of course the fact that we have witnessed some
excellent work going into the Gora framework elsewhere.

Implementing your suggestion as above would leave us with no blockers (in
my opinion) to getting an RC rolled out.The quicker we can get more people
using Gora the better.