gora-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Apache Gora March board report (draft)
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 15:26:06 GMT
Hi All,

Time of month again, we have monthly reporting for the first three months
after graduation so please review and comment accordingly.
I'll get it committed as of

Apache Gora

The Apache Gora open source framework provides an in-memory data model and
persistence for big data. Gora supports persisting to column stores, key
value stores, document stores and RDBMSs, and analyzing the data with
extensive Apache Hadoop MapReduce support.

Project Releases

The last official project release was made on 24/09/2011 which was the
0.1.1-incubating release (2nd whilst in the Incubator).
Although there have been some commits to three Gora modules, some remaining
issues still need to be addressed before we are ready to roll out a 0.2
release.
This is rather frustrating, as the main issue which blocks a 0.2 release is
a licensing issue on the gora-sql store. It is widely acknowledged that
although
gora-sql is the least used module, it is the one which requires attention
to rectify this
licensing issue.

Overall Project Activity since last report

Since graduation all documentation, and infrastructure has been successfully
migrated over to TLP status. We've witnessed development and committs to
three
datastores and a number of issues addressed as a result. It is safe to say
that the gora-hbase
store seems to be attracting the most development, however there are also
a number of issues which have recently been opened for the gora-cassandra
module.
In the last report we stated that there were two new modules in the process
of being
integrated into the project (namely gora-accumulo and gora-solr), however
due to blocking issues
with releases for Solr and Accumulo, we are not able to release the gora
modules.

The Gora mailing lists have seen some activity with regards to
gora-accumulo,
however generally speaking traffic was quite low for the month until this
report.
We do however have some excellent news that we are submitting an
application
to Google Summer of Code. The project comprises a gora-dynamodb (Amazon
Dynamo
DB) module again making best efforts to open up Gora to a wider audience.

Changes to PMC & Committers

Since VOTE'ing Keither Turner on to the team no new members have been
accepted
into the Gora development team. Additionally, no new VOTE'ing has taken
place.

PMC and Committer diversity

We currently have committers from a wide variety of projects including,
Nutch, Tika, OODT, Camel, Solr, Accumulo & Hadoop (this is not an
exhaustive list). There is work to be
done with the Avro implementations, so once we are 100% ready to work on
these issues,
we will be looking to interest members of the Avro community in Gora.

Project Branding or Naming issues

We recently sorted out all branding and trademark issues through trademarks@
.
As this has been addressed there is no more to add at this stage.

Legal issues

We currently have an issue with one particular library being used within the
gora-sql store. It is the communities intention to remove this LGPL
licensed library
from the codebase replacing it with implementations from JOOQ an ASL 2.0
licensed library.
The re-write of the gora-sql module building from the JOOQ library has been
delayed
until after our 0.2 release.

--
*Lewis*