gora-dev mailing list archives

From Alexis <alexis.detregl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Welcome Alexis Detreglode as a Gora Committer
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:40:00 GMT
Dear Vivek,

Thank you for mentioning Kundera. Currently, it looks like it only
supports Cassandra. We want Gora to implement persistency in MySQL as
well. Kundera overlaps (and outpeforms) the gora-cassandra module,
which is now a thin layer between gora-mapreduce and hector, using
Avro fields as model representing the records. See description:
http://techvineyard.blogspot.com/2011/02/gora-orm-framework-for-hadoop-jobs.html#Cassandra_in_Gora

For having submitted a patch in Gora-22 issue, this is what I consider
Gora is about:
1. It implements a datastore per backend (MySQL, Cassandra, HBase
...); it allows you to create a "schema", ie the columns within a new
table MySQL or column families within a new keyspace (Cassandra). You
can iterate over the entire data set to read or write row batches
serialized as lists of Avro objects. This is where part of an ORM
framework is required. Here, we can figure out better the design to
avoid duplicate efforts that writes the same features.

See http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/gora/trunk/gora-core/src/main/java/org/apache/gora/store/DataStore.java?view=markup
for the interface.

2. Gora implements Mapper and Reducer classes You can use that if you
want your Hadoop job to process data coming from the backend you
picked, without having to deal with the storage code. Gora is
currently used by Nutch crawler jobs.

Conclusion: It is just a matter of using gora-mapreduce module as an
intermediate between Hadoop and a good versatile ORM framework that
knows how to serialize/deserialize Avro fields out of any backend,
MySQL or NoSQL styles.

Let me know if this gives some insights.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Vivek Mishra
<vivek.mishra@impetus.co.in> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am newbie to GORA.
> But worked on ORM over Cassandra/HBase solution known as Kundera. It is already released
for 1.0

> http://code.google.com/p/kundera/
>
> Just wanted to know, how it is different from GORA?
>
> Also I have tried to compile a blog post on GORA/HOM/Kundera (given below):
>
> http://mevivs.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/hector-kundera/
>

> I can see that Kundera already provides a lot of things mentioned on Roadmap for GORA.
>
> Vivek

(Feb 13-18) in Las Vegas.We are also bringing cloud experts together at CloudCamp, Delhi on
Feb 12. CloudCamp is an unconference where early adopters of Cloud Computing technologies
exchange ideas.

> Click http://www.impetus.com to know more.

interception or interference.