giraph-user mailing list archives

From Philipp Nolte <...@daslaboratorium.de>
Subject AW: Performance metrics / calling external scripts
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2015 19:19:10 GMT
In general, have you had a look at the giraph.metrics.enable option? It prints out metrics
after each superstep to each worker's system.out log.

user <user@giraph.apache.org> </div><div>Betreff: Performance metrics /
calling external scripts </div><div>

I am attempting to measure some performance metrics (such as runtime, memory usage, network
communication, etc.) using an external bash script that grabs some machine stats.

I am having difficulty figuring out where to externally call this script in Giraph. Particularly,
I would like to call it at several key points in Giraph's execution, such as input/setup,
beginning of computation, and output. The issue I am having is that I can't clearly figure
out where to place the external calls because I can't figure out where these "phases" are
actually happening in Giraph's source.

I also have the added difficulty that I only want this external script to be called for each
machine/worker not for each thread. Meaning, it should not be inside the vertex computation
code, for example.

computation (at/before superstep 0), and output.
Is this possible?
If so, could anyone please point me to where these phases are happening that would work for
making such an external call? I am guessing this would be the MasterThread file, as this is
where all the GiraphTimers are happening.
Any general advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Steve