Use them as -Dgiraph.metrics.enable=true, after GiraphRunner but before you specify the algorithm of interest. In other words,

hadoop jar .... org.apache.giraph.GiraphRunner \
   -Dgiraph.metrics.enable=true \
   -Dgiraph.metrics.directory=dir \
   org.apache.giraph.examples.SomeAlgorithm \
   -ca AlgorithmSpecificOpts -vif InputFormat ... etc.

As Matthew mentioned, by default it outputs metrics to the stderr logs---I haven't used the directory option before either.

Young