giraph-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Cornell <m...@matthewcornell.org>
Subject Which is better: sending many small messages or fewer large ones?
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2014 18:16:52 GMT
Hi Everyone,

I have an app whose messaging granularity could be written two ways -
sending many small messages vs. (possibly far) fewer larger ones.
Conceptually what moves around is a set of 'alive' vertex IDs that might
get filtered at each superstep based on a processed list (vertex value)
that vertexes manage. The ones that survive to the end are the lucky
winners. compute() calculates a set of 'new-to-me' incoming IDs that are
perfect for the outgoing message, but I could easily send each ID one at a
time. My guess is that sending fewer messages is more important, but the
each set might contain thousands of IDs.

Thanks!

P.S. A side question: The few custom message type examples I've found are
relatively simple objects with a few primitive instance variables, rather
than collections. Is it nutty to send around a collection of IDs as a
message?

--
Matthew Cornell | matt@matthewcornell.org | 413-626-3621 | 34 Dickinson
Street, Amherst MA 01002 | matthewcornell.org