giraph-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Cornell <m...@matthewcornell.org>
Subject Which is better to use to manage Vertex state: POJO instance variables or Giraph values?
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2014 19:28:49 GMT
Hi there. I'm confused about when it's OK to use Vertex instance variables
to maintain state rather than proper Giraph values ala getValue(). An
interesting example I found in the source demonstrates both:
SimpleTriangleClosingVertex, which has both an instance variable (closeMap)
and a custom vertex value (IntArrayListWritable). I'm a little surprised
that using an instance variable is legit due to possibly screwing up
serialization (?) My question: Is either valid? If so, how do I choose one
over the other? Thanks very much. -- matt

--
Matthew Cornell | matt@matthewcornell.org | 413-626-3621 | 34 Dickinson
Street, Amherst MA 01002 | matthewcornell.org