giraph-user mailing list archives

From Pavan Kumar A <pava...@outlook.com>
Subject RE: input superstep of giraph.
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:25:55 GMT
I wrote the Initialize counter :) Please tell me if the name seems confusing
So,Initialize = the time spent by job waiting for resources. In a shared pool the job you
launch may not get all the machines needed to start the job. So for instance you want to run
a job with 200 workers, giraph does not start until all the workers have are allocated &
register with the master.
Setup = once you have all the machines allocated, how much time it takes before starting to
read input
Shutdown = once you have written your output howmuch time it takes to stop verify that everything
is done & shutdown resources & notify user - for instance wait for all network connections
to close, all threads to join, etc.
Total = sum of input time + sum of time in all superstepsi.e., actual time taken to run by
your application after it got all the resources (does not include time waiting to get resources
which is initialize or shutdown time)

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:28:47 +0100
Subject: Re: input superstep of giraph.
From: ghufran1malik@gmail.com
To: user@giraph.apache.org

Hi,

Could you also explain what the following timers correspond to as well please:

Giraph Timers		Initialize (ms)=775
				Setup (ms)=105
		Shutdown (ms)=12537

		Total (ms)=27075
Thanks,

Ghufran

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 9:10 PM, Pavan Kumar A <pavanka@outlook.com> wrote:

Input consists of > reading the input (vertices and/or edges as provided) into memory on
individual workers> assigning vertices to partitions and partitions to workers
> moving all partitions (i.e., vertices & their out-edges) to a worker (which owns
the partition)> doing some bookkeeping of internal data-structures to be used during computation

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:06:03 -0500

Subject: input superstep of giraph.
From: suijian.zhou@gmail.com
To: user@giraph.apache.org

Hi,
  From the screen output of a successful giraph program run, what does the following line
mean?

Input superstep (ms)=22884

 Does it mean the time used to load the input graph into memory? Thanks.

  Best Regards,
  Suijian