giraph-user mailing list archives

From Craig Muchinsky <cmuch...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Java Process Memory Leak
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2014 22:10:08 GMT
I just noticed a similar problem myself. I did a thread dump and found
similar netty client threads lingering. After poking around the source a
bit, I'm wondering if the problem is related to this bit of code I found
in the NettyClient.stop() method:

            workerGroup.shutdownGracefully();
            ProgressableUtils.awaitTerminationFuture(executionGroup,
context);
            if (executionGroup != null) {
              executionGroup.shutdownGracefully();
              ProgressableUtils.awaitTerminationFuture(executionGroup,
context);
            }

Notice that the first await termination call seems to be waiting on the
executionGroup instead of the workerGroup...

Craig M.

From:   Young Han <young.han@uwaterloo.ca>
To:     user@giraph.apache.org
Date:   03/17/2014 03:25 PM
Subject:        Re: Java Process Memory Leak

Oh, I see. I did jstack on a cluster of machines and a single machine...
I'm not quite sure how to interpret the output. My best guess is that
there might be a deadlock---there's just a bunch of Netty threads waiting.
The links to the jstack dumps:

http://pastebin.com/0cLuaF07     (PageRank, single worker, amazon0505
graph from SNAP)
http://pastebin.com/MNEUELui   (MST, from one of the 64 workers, com-orkut
graph from SNAP)

Any idea what's happening? Or anything in particular I should look for
next?

Thanks,
Young