On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Claudio Martella <claudio.martella@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Alexander Frolov <alexndr.frolov@gmail.com> wrote:

Claudio,
thank you very much for your help.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Claudio Martella <claudio.martella@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Alexander Frolov <alexndr.frolov@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Claudio Martella <claudio.martella@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Alexander Frolov <alexndr.frolov@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Claudio,

thank you.

If I understood correctly, mapper and mapper task is the same thing.

More or less. A mapper is a functional element of the programming model, while the mapper task is the task that executes the mapper function on the records.

Ok, I see. Then mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum is a maximum number of Workers [or Workers + Master] which will be created at the same node.

That is if I have 8 node cluster with mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum=4, then I can run up to 31 Workers + 1 Master.

Is it correct?

That is correct. However, if you have total control over your cluster, you may want to run one worker per node (hence setting the max number of map tasks per machine to 1), and use multiple threads (input, compute, output).
This is going to make better use of resources.

Should I explicitly force Giraph to use multiple threads for input, compute, output? Only three threads, I suppose? But I have 12 cores available in each node (24 if HT is enabled).

You're right, I was not clear. I suggest you use N threads for each of those three classes, where N is something close to the number of processing units (e.g. cores) you have available on each machine.
Consider that Giraph has a number of other threads running in the background, for example to handle communication etc. I suggest you try different setups through benchmarking.

Thank you, I will try to do this. As I understood I should set number of threads manually through Giraph API.

BTW, what is conceptual difference between running multiple workers on the TaskTracker and running single worker and multiple threads? In terms of vertex fetching, memory sharing etc.