giraph-user mailing list archives

From Maja Kabiljo <majakabi...@fb.com>
Subject Re: Tracking Bytes Sent
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2014 20:15:37 GMT
Hi Young,

You can set giraph.metrics.enable to true, and then in worker logs (stderr part) you'll see
more information about each superstep. What you are interested in will be shown in requests-sent
and sent-bytes, there is an equivalent for received as well.

Regards,
Maja

From: Young Han <young.han@uwaterloo.ca<mailto:young.han@uwaterloo.ca>>
Date: Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:58 PM
To: "user@giraph.apache.org<mailto:user@giraph.apache.org>" <user@giraph.apache.org<mailto:user@giraph.apache.org>>
Subject: Tracking Bytes Sent

Hi,

I'd like to know how many bytes are being sent (per worker per superstep), rather than the
number of messages sent. This is for an algorithm (DMST) that sends variable size messages.
In the Giraph userlogs, there are "waitAllRequests" lines which contain "MBytesSent", with
statistics obtained from ByteCounter's getMetrics(). However, I'm unsure if this is right:
I looked at a PageRank run, divided the reported MBytesSent by the number of outgoing messages
and I get something like 0.2 bytes/message... Is it because of encoding/compression or is
this simply the wrong thing to look at? Are there other counters?

Thanks,
Young