giraph-user mailing list archives

From Ameya Vilankar <ameya.vilan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Waking up all the vertices after every vertex calls vote to halt
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 22:57:18 GMT
Hi,
I have implemented Alternating Least Squares on top apache giraph. On the
edge, I store the type of the edge. Edges can be either a training edge or
testing edge. When I run the algorithm, I use only the ratings on the
training edge to tune the vectors on the vertices.
The algorithm ends in one of the two scenarios:
1. All the vertices have tuned their vector with in the tolerable error. At
this point there are no active vertices since everyone has called vote to
halt.
2. We reached the maximum number of supersteps. At this point, some
vertices are active since they received messages from the last superstep.

I have written an Aggregator that counts the training error along this
process. But now, I want to calculate the prediction/testing error which is
along the testing labelled edges. But there are either no active vertices
or few active vertices at this point in my algorithm. I need all the
vertices to send their vectors along all of their testing edges to compute
the testing error and send it to a error sum aggregator. For this I need to
activate all the vertices.
Hope it is clear to you now.

Thanks,
Ameya.