giraph-user mailing list archives

From Ameya Vilankar <ameya.vilan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: about retaining the variable value...
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2013 09:47:57 GMT
In your scenario, you want to store some value that is obtained in
Superstep 1, so that it is available to a vertex in all the subsequent
supersteps. The best place to do that is to store it on the vertex itself.
The simplest example is ShortesPath Example where you store the current
lowest distance on the vertex, and when you receive a message you update it
with the new lowest mistake. I assume that in your program you don't want
to update the value after Superstep 1. So don't. Just keep an extra
variable in your vertex value class and set it in superstep 1 so that it
can be used by the vertex in all the following steps.

But if you want to store global information i.e in superstep 1, every
vertex computes and stores a value and in the subsequent supersteps, a
vertex needs access to the stored values of all the vertices, you need to
make those values global. The only way to do it is to use a persistent
aggregator. In superstep 1, every vertex computes the value and then sends
it to the persistent aggregator that can contain a hashmap from the vertex
id to the value. This value will persist across all the supersteps since
the aggregator is a persistent one. Will be available to every vertex too.