giraph-user mailing list archives

From Mirko Kämpf <mirko.kae...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic Graphs
Date Sun, 25 Aug 2013 06:55:12 GMT
Good morning Gentlemen,

as far as I understand your thread you are talking about the same topic I
was thinking and working some time.
I work on a research project focused on evolution of networks and networks
dynamics in networks of networks.

My understanding of Marco's question is, that he needs to change node
properties or even wants to add nodes to the graph while it is processed,
right?

With the WorkerContext we could construct a "Connector" to the outside
world, not just for loading data from HDFS, which requires a preprocessing
step for the data which has to be loaded also. I think about HBase often.
All my nodes and edges live in HBase. From there it is quite easy to load
new data based on a simple "Scan" or even if the WorkerContext triggers a
Hive or Pig script, one can automatically reorganize or extract relevant
new links / nodes which have to be added to the graph.

Such an approach means, after n super steps of the Giraph layer an
additional utility-step (triggered via WorkerContext, or any other better
fitting class form Giraph - not sure jet there to start) is executed.
Before such a step the state of the graph is persisted to allow fall back
or resume. The utility-step can be a processing (MR, Mahout) or just a load
(from HDFS, HBase) operation and it allows a kind of clocked data flow
directly into a running Giraph application. I think this is a very
important feature in Complex Systems research, as we have interacting
layers which change in parallel. In this picture the Giraph steps are the
steps of layer A, lets say something whats going on on top of a network and
the utility-step expresses the changes in the underlying structure
affecting the network it self but based on the data / properties of the
second subsystem, e.g. the agents operating on top of the network.

I created a tool, which worked like this - but not at scale - and it was at
a time before Giraph. What do you think, is there a need for such a kind of
extension in the Giraph world?

Have a nice Sunday.

Best wishes
Mirko