giraph-user mailing list archives

From Christian Krause ...@ckrause.org>
Subject Global factory for vertex IDs?
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2013 08:09:11 GMT
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to register a global factory for new
vertex IDs. Currently, I have to come up with new IDs in my compute
method which does work, but with the penality that the required memory
for vertex IDs is unnecessarily high. If there was a global vertex ID
factory I could just keep a global counter and increase it by one when I
need a new ID. Is something like that possible, or does it conflict with
the BSP computation model? The thing is, in the end vertex ID collisions
are detected by Giraph, so why not allow also a global vertex ID factory...

Cheers,
Christian