giraph-user mailing list archives

From Claudio Martella <claudio.marte...@gmail.com>
Subject Inter- and intra-node message passing
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 17:48:34 GMT
Giraph runs on a Hadoop cluster as a map reduce job. Each worker is hence a
different task and it runs as a different jvm. This means that you can have
two workers running in the same machine. Hence it can happen that two
vertices running on two different workers executed in the same machine
might exchange messages over the network. The practical impact depends on
the host operating system.
On the other side, two vertices residing on the same worker but being
computed by different compute threads will behave as mentioned in the
previous email. If you would like to minimize the first behavior, you
should ensure a single worker is executed on each machine, and set
adequately the number of compute threads per worker.

Hope this helps,
Claudio

--
   Claudio Martella