giraph-user mailing list archives

From "Tu, Min" <m...@paypal.com>
Subject Re: General Scalability Questions for Giraph
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:17:38 GMT
Hi Claudio,

Thank you very much for your valuable inputs. I will follow your suggestions to try giraph
0.2 ( from trunk ) and the workers setting.

Min

From: Claudio Martella <claudio.martella@gmail.com<mailto:claudio.martella@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:06 PM
To: "user@giraph.apache.org<mailto:user@giraph.apache.org>" <user@giraph.apache.org<mailto:user@giraph.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: General Scalability Questions for Giraph

Hi Tu,

first of all, I really suggest you run trunk, especially if you have a large graph. That being
said:

1) yes and no, the jargon is misleading. you should have n - 1 workers (what you call mappers
for giraph job) with n as the max number of mappers you can have in your cluster as an upper
limit (the additional 1 goes for the master). In general, i'd strongly suggest you have 1
mapper/worker per node/MACHINE, and k compute threads per worker, with k as the number of
cores on that machine. You'll save netty sending messages over the loopback and additional
jvm overhead.

2) yes, but I challenge you to compute those sizes before hand :) Also consider the size of
the messages being produced by your algorithm. E.g. roughly, PageRank produces a double for
each edge in the graph, during each superstep.

3) AFAIK there's no way, but I might be wrong here.

4) I'd suggest you also talk in terms of nodes. Having multiple workers per machine misleads
the scalability on certain aspects (such as network i/o). I have been running Giraph jobs
on hundreds of mappers and around 65 machines. I know others here have done bigger numbers
(~300 workers). I'd say the upper limit to scalability is your main memory ATM, so you might
want to have a look at out-of-core graph and messages.

Hope it helps,
Claudio

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Tu, Min <mitu@paypal.com<mailto:mitu@paypal.com>>