giraph-user mailing list archives

From Alessandro Presta <alessan...@fb.com>
Subject Re: Termination Conditions
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 14:14:22 GMT
Hi Nick,

You are pretty much correct, except that not all vertices need to vote to halt at the same
time: some vertices might have voted to halt at a previous superstep and never received any
messages after then, in which case they are never reactivated.

In other words, I think you can rephrase that as:

  1.  All vertices are halted after a given superstep
  2.  No messages were sent in that superstep

Hope it helps.

Alessandro

From: Nick West <nick.west@benchmarksolutions.com<mailto:nick.west@benchmarksolutions.com>>
Date: Friday, August 3, 2012 2:48 PM
To: "user@giraph.apache.org<mailto:user@giraph.apache.org>" <user@giraph.apache.org<mailto:user@giraph.apache.org>>
Subject: Termination Conditions

Excuse me if this is stated somewhere obvious, but I haven't been unable to find it.  What
are the exact termination criteria for the global algorithm?

Reading the documentation on voteToHalt, looking at the Shortest Path Example code, and looking
at the results of my own application, these two conditions must both hold for the global BSP
algorithm to terminate:

1) All vertices vote to halt in a given superstep
2) No messages are sent in that supersetp

Is that correct?

Thanks,
Nick West

Benchmark Solutions
101 Park Avenue - 7th Floor
New York, NY 10178
Tel +1.212.220.4739 | Mobile +1.646.267.4324
www.benchmarksolutions.com <http://www.benchmarksolutions.com/>
[cid:image001.png@01CCA50E.43B4A860]