giraph-user mailing list archives

From Yuanyuan Tian <yt...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: wierd communication errors
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 05:01:08 GMT
What do you mean using netty? I am not aware that Giraph is using netty. I
am just using what ever the default  giraph release 1.0 is using.

Yuanyuan

From:   Avery Ching <aching@apache.org>
To:     user@giraph.apache.org
Date:   06/27/2012 07:57 PM
Subject:        Re: wierd communication errors

Same issue using netty as well?

On 6/27/12 6:14 PM, Yuanyuan Tian wrote:
Hi,

I was running a giraph job where I constantly got the following
communication related errors. The symptom is that in super step 0, most of
the workers succeeded but a few of the workers produced the errors below,
the machines that caused the connection reset are different in each failed
worker. To rule out the probability of the cluster setup error, I also ran
a different job and it worked fine. So, the error must be caused by this
particular giraph job. My giraph job is just normal message propagation
type of job, except that the message is not a of a unique type. Therefore,
I defined a special message type (also copied in this email) that
incorporates two different types of messages: integer message and double
array message.  I have tried all day but still couldn't ping point the
source of the bug. Can anyone give me some hints on what may have caused
this error?

Thanks a lot,

java.lang.IllegalStateException: run: Caught an unrecoverable exception
flush: Got ExecutionException
                at
org.apache.giraph.graph.GraphMapper.run(GraphMapper.java:859)
                at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runNewMapper(MapTask.java:763)
                at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
                at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1059)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: flush: Got ExecutionException
                at
org.apache.giraph.comm.BasicRPCCommunications.flush(BasicRPCCommunications.java:1082)
                at
org.apache.giraph.graph.BspServiceWorker.finishSuperstep(BspServiceWorker.java:1080)
                at
org.apache.giraph.graph.GraphMapper.map(GraphMapper.java:806)
                at
org.apache.giraph.graph.GraphMapper.run(GraphMapper.java:850)
                ... 7 more
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:
java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException
                at
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:222)
                at
org.apache.giraph.comm.BasicRPCCommunications.flush(BasicRPCCommunications.java:1077)
                ... 10 more
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException
                at $Proxy3.getName(Unknown Source)
                at
org.apache.giraph.comm.BasicRPCCommunications$PeerFlushExecutor.run(BasicRPCCommunications.java:335)
                at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
                at
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
                at
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
                at
                at
                at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Call to
idp35.almaden.ibm.com/172.16.0.35:30083 failed on local exception:
java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer
                at
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.wrapException(Client.java:1065)
                ... 8 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer
                at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcher.read0(Native Method)
                at
sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(SocketDispatcher.java:21)
                at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:202)
                at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(IOUtil.java:175)
                at
sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(SocketChannelImpl.java:243)
                at
org.apache.hadoop.net.SocketInputStream$Reader.performIO(SocketInputStream.java:55)
                at
org.apache.hadoop.net.SocketIOWithTimeout.doIO(SocketIOWithTimeout.java:142)
                at
org.apache.hadoop.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:155)
                at
org.apache.hadoop.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:128)
                at
java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:116)
                at
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection$PingInputStream.read(Client.java:343)
                at
java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
                at
java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:237)
                at
java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:370)
                at
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.receiveResponse(Client.java:767)
                at
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.run(Client.java:712)

My special messge type:

public class MyMessageWritable implements Writable{

        public byte msgType=0;
        public long vertexID=-1;
        public double[] arrayMsg=null;
        public int intMsg=-1;

        public MyMessageWritable ()
        {
        }

        public MyMessageWritable (long id, byte tp, int msg)
        {
                vertexID=id;
                msgType=tp;
                intMsg=msg;
        }

        public MyMessageWritable (long id, byte tp, double[] arr)
        {
                vertexID=id;
                msgType=tp;
                arrayMsg=arr;