Thanks Jakob and Avery,

it was the same weird dependency issue popped up first last November: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-86

I deleted everything and checked it out again and finally was able to build on the command line and also from within Intellij using the non-secure profile.

Can Giraph be run on a 0.20.2 Hadoop cluster then and without ZooKeeper?

I really hope I will be able to run the Shortest Past or some other HelloWorld example within a week or so locally. The earlier Getting Started thread looked particularly helpful.

Cheers,
Attila