giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Claudio Martella <claudio.marte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some advice for a developer to show him how to run Giraph via source code
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2013 01:03:00 GMT
On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Avery Ching <aching@apache.org> wrote:

> Inlined answers.
>

> On 6/13/13 6:02 AM, Linux TUX wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am a new arrival here, and I have some questions to ask in the
>> following:
>>
>> 1) Can Giraph be run alone, or having Hadoop installed is mandatory to
>> run it (for testing, I mean)?
>>
> Testing (i.e. unittests) can be run locally (search for LocalJobRunner).
>

>  2) I have downloaded "giraph-1.0.0.tar.gz", but I do not know how to
>> import this to a Eclipse workspace as a Java project and then run some
>> examples of this via Eclipse.
>>
> I edit in Intellij and then run from the command line myself.

what i do with eclipse is:
1) run mvn eclipse:eclipse in the parent directory (the one that you
actually get from the repository)
2) the previous command will prepare the directory to be imported to
eclipse, and download dependencies in the local repo. Hence you import all
the project through "import" -> "existing projects"
3) remove the munged/* folders from the build path
4) add the src/main/java and src/main/test directories to the build path
5) this assumes you have the maven M2 variable set correctly in eclipse
pointing to your local repo
6) edit the code from eclipse

the rest i do from the command line.

--