giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Claudio Martella <claudio.marte...@gmail.com>
Subject shared aggregators
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 16:08:43 GMT
Hi,

I have a question about the design of shared aggregators.
Documentation says:

"After MasterCompute.compute, master doesn't do the distribution of all
aggregators to all workers, but aggregators again have their owners. Master
only sends each aggregator to its owner, and then each worker distributes
the aggregators which it owns to all other workers."

Why are the aggregator values not sent directly by the master to all
workers, instead of doing the two hops it does now?

Suppose I have K aggregators and N workers, the current design requires K +
K*N messages.
If the master would send the aggregators values to all the workers
directly, we would have K*N messages, or actually N messages with K values
each.

Am I missing something?

Best,
Claudio