giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Karma for Giraph wiki
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 05:02:29 GMT
Hi Renato,
Great work. The proposal looks just great.
I think it will be beneficial for all of us when a comparative
investigation is carried out between Nutch LR and Giraphs PR.
In my opinion this should most certainly features as one of the early
milestones of the project.
I think this would make a nice blog post and/or wiki page within Apache
Giraph which Nutch wiki can also link to.
I acknowledge your intention to use the 2.x Nutch branch as oppose to
trunk. This makes sense given your knowledge of Gora from last years GSoC
and I think this should be welcomed as it most certainly lowers the barrier
to doing more exciting things within this years effort (if the proposal is
accepted.)
Can i please ask you to keep the Giraph Jira issue documented with any wiki
entries? This will enable better tracking and evaluation from a mentor and
admin perspective.
It is a good start.

@Claudio Martella,
I saw your ask about datastores supported

Lewis

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GIRAPH/GSoC+2013+-+Giraph+Implementation+of+Nutch+LinkRank+Algorithm

> 2013/4/17 Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com>:
>> Hi Claudio & Others,
>>
>> The idea here is that the interested Students from those who explicitly
>> expressed interest on the GIRAPH-584 ticket e.g. Renato, Emre & Catalin
>> respectively, will each contribute their own individual proposal to wiki
>> page.
>>
>> The content each prospetcive participant should provide should include
>> evidence of research they have carried out regarding Nutch LinkRank and
>> Giraph PageRank algorthithms, the code bases, scope of problem, possible
>> difficulties they envisage the project may run in to, milestones which
>> should be addressed within the project, etc.
>>
>> Justification behind me gathering this type of content upfront is three
fold
>> 1. It enables the Giraph PMC to see that the prospective students are
>> serious about taking on the GSoC project
>> 2. It enables creation of a base line for each students aim and
objectives
>> within the project scope.
>> 3. It enables GSoC admins to make better decisions on who gets in and who
>> doesn't based on the quality of the student application and the
engagement
>> from the community to the idea and proposal.
>>
>> I am trying to drive on with this (and would also encourage the
prospective
>> students to do the same) as I would like to make it clear that
 competition
>> for GSoC is high. Places are limited for mentors as well as students.
Slot

claudio.martella@gmail.com>

--
*Lewis*