giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Karma for Giraph wiki
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2013 15:18:22 GMT
Hi Claudio & Others,

The idea here is that the interested Students from those who explicitly
expressed interest on the GIRAPH-584 ticket e.g. Renato, Emre & Catalin
respectively, will each contribute their own individual proposal to wiki
page.

The content each prospetcive participant should provide should include
evidence of research they have carried out regarding Nutch LinkRank and
Giraph PageRank algorthithms, the code bases, scope of problem, possible
difficulties they envisage the project may run in to, milestones which
should be addressed within the project, etc.

Justification behind me gathering this type of content upfront is three fold
1. It enables the Giraph PMC to see that the prospective students are
serious about taking on the GSoC project
2. It enables creation of a base line for each students aim and objectives
within the project scope.
3. It enables GSoC admins to make better decisions on who gets in and who
doesn't based on the quality of the student application and the engagement
from the community to the idea and proposal.

I am trying to drive on with this (and would also encourage the prospective
students to do the same) as I would like to make it clear that  competition
for GSoC is high. Places are limited for mentors as well as students. Slot
allocations (AFAIK) are based purely on quality of application.

I hope this clarifies a bit, if there are any general questions regarding
this, then please voice them here. Otherwise I'll look forward to seeing
some good proposals put forward to the Giraph wiki in due course :0)

Thank you very much.
Lewis

--
*Lewis*