giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Avery Ching <ach...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE][CHANGED] Release Giraph 1.0 (rc1)
Date Sat, 13 Apr 2013 05:39:56 GMT
Thanks to the quick feedback from Roman and Lewis, we have cut a new RC1
that addresses the following issues.

* Got rid of .git repo in tarball
* Fixed issue with not compiling without git repo (GIRAPH-628)
* Used gnutar in OSX rather than tar to generate the tarball and get rid
of warnings
* Pushed GIRAPH-627 to support the yarn profile better
* Tarball name changed to the final artifact name (giraph-1.0.tar.gz)

Release notes:
http://people.apache.org/~aching/giraph-1.0-RC1/RELEASE_NOTES.html

Release artifacts:
http://people.apache.org/~aching/giraph-1.0-RC1/

Corresponding git tag:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=giraph.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/release-1.0-RC1

Signing keys:
http://people.apache.org/keys/group/giraph.asc

The vote runs for 72 hours, until Monday 11pm PST.

Thanks,

Avery

Original message below regarding rc0:

-------------------------------

Fellow Giraphers,

We have a our first release candidate since graduating from incubation.
  This is a source release, primarily due to the different versions of
Hadoop we support with munge (similar to the 0.1 release).  Since 0.1,
we've made A TON of progress on overall performance, optimizing memory
use, split vertex/edge inputs, easy interoperability with Apache Hive,
and a bunch of other areas.  In many ways, this is an almost totally
different codebase.  Thanks everyone for your hard work!

Apache Giraph has been running in production at Facebook (against
Facebook's Corona implementation of Hadoop -
https://github.com/facebook/hadoop-20/tree/master/src/contrib/corona)
since around last December.  It has proven to be very scalable,
performant, and enables a bunch of new applications.  Based on the
drastic improvements and the use of Giraph in production, it seems
appropriate to bump up our version to 1.0.

While anyone can vote, the ASF requires majority approval from the PMC
-- i.e., at least three PMC members must vote affirmatively for release,
and there must be more positive than negative votes. Releases may not be
vetoed. Before voting +1 PMC members are required to download the signed
source code package, compile it as provided, and test the resulting
executable on their own platform, along with also verifying that the
package meets the requirements of the ASF policy on releases.

Please test this against many other Hadoop versions and let us know how
this goes!

Release notes:
http://people.apache.org/~aching/giraph-1.0-RC0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

Release artifacts:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=giraph.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/release-1.0-RC0

Signing keys:
http://people.apache.org/keys/group/giraph.asc

The vote runs for 72 hours, until Monday 4pm PST.

Thanks everyone for your patience with this release!

Avery