giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Nitay Joffe <nit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE][CHANGED] Release Giraph 1.0.0 (rc3)
Date Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:06:38 GMT
Just FYI we munge does not prevent us from doing jar release. We can use classifier to release
multiple Giraph jars (each built for different Hadoop).

See e.g.
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/examples/deploying-with-classifiers.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3092085/building-same-project-in-maven-with-different-artifactid-based-on-jdk-used

So we would have like giraph-1.0.0-hadoop-0.20.203.0.jar, giraph-1.0.0-hadoop-2.0.0.jar, etc

Seems to me like we don't know how long it will take to get rid of munge.
Perhaps we should do this as pulling in Giraph into Maven projects would make it a lot easier
for others to work with and lessen the barrier to entry?

- Nitay

On Apr 16, 2013, at 1:36 AM, Avery Ching <aching@apache.org> wrote:

> Okay, we're on our 3rd RC now, mainly to incorporate Roman's suggestion about fixing
the maven version number from 0.2-SNAPSHOT => 1.0.0.  Roman, this is a source code release,
we can't really deploy jars to maven since we use munge to support different versions of Hadoop.
 Once we get rid of munge, we'll be able to do this in the future.

> Release notes:
> http://people.apache.org/~aching/giraph-1.0.0-RC3/RELEASE_NOTES.html
>
> Release artifacts:
> http://people.apache.org/~aching/giraph-1.0.0-RC3/
>
> Corresponding git tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=giraph.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/release-1.0.0-RC3

> Signing keys:
> http://people.apache.org/keys/group/giraph.asc
>
> The vote runs for 72 hours, until Thusday 4pm PST.
>
> Thanks for everyone's input!
>
> Avery
>
> On 4/14/13 7:12 PM, Avery Ching wrote:
>> Hopefully last RC release.  This patch includes GIRAPH-630.  I also changed the version
number to be 1.0.0 so our next release can be 1.0.1.

>> Release notes:
>> http://people.apache.org/~aching/giraph-1.0.0-RC2/RELEASE_NOTES.html
>>
>> Release artifacts:
>> http://people.apache.org/~aching/giraph-1.0.0-RC2/
>>
>> Corresponding git tag:
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=giraph.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/release-1.0.0-RC2

>> Signing keys:
>> http://people.apache.org/keys/group/giraph.asc
>>
>> The vote runs for 72 hours, until Wednesday 7:15pm PST.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Avery
>>
>> On 4/12/13 10:39 PM, Avery Ching wrote:
>>> Thanks to the quick feedback from Roman and Lewis, we have cut a new RC1 that
addresses the following issues.

>>> * Got rid of .git repo in tarball
>>> * Fixed issue with not compiling without git repo (GIRAPH-628)
>>> * Used gnutar in OSX rather than tar to generate the tarball and get rid of warnings
>>> * Pushed GIRAPH-627 to support the yarn profile better
>>> * Tarball name changed to the final artifact name (giraph-1.0.tar.gz)
>>>
>>> Release notes:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~aching/giraph-1.0-RC1/RELEASE_NOTES.html
>>>
>>> Release artifacts:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~aching/giraph-1.0-RC1/
>>>
>>> Corresponding git tag:
>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=giraph.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/release-1.0-RC1

>>> Signing keys:
>>> http://people.apache.org/keys/group/giraph.asc
>>>
>>> The vote runs for 72 hours, until Monday 11pm PST.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Avery
>>>
>>> Original message below regarding rc0:
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>>
>>> Fellow Giraphers,
>>>
>>> We have a our first release candidate since graduating from incubation.  This
is a source release, primarily due to the different versions of Hadoop we support with munge
(similar to the 0.1 release).  Since 0.1, we've made A TON of progress on overall performance,
optimizing memory use, split vertex/edge inputs, easy interoperability with Apache Hive, and
a bunch of other areas.  In many ways, this is an almost totally different codebase.  Thanks
everyone for your hard work!

>>> Apache Giraph has been running in production at Facebook (against Facebook's
Corona implementation of Hadoop - https://github.com/facebook/hadoop-20/tree/master/src/contrib/corona)
since around last December.  It has proven to be very scalable, performant, and enables a
bunch of new applications.  Based on the drastic improvements and the use of Giraph in production,
it seems appropriate to bump up our version to 1.0.

>>> While anyone can vote, the ASF requires majority approval from the PMC -- i.e.,
at least three PMC members must vote affirmatively for release, and there must be more positive
than negative votes. Releases may not be vetoed. Before voting +1 PMC members are required
to download the signed source code package, compile it as provided, and test the resulting
executable on their own platform, along with also verifying that the package meets the requirements
of the ASF policy on releases.