giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC 2013 Integration of Apache Giraph & Nutch
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:10:16 GMT
Hi Claudio,
Thanks for feedback. The issue is now logged and will be considered for
formal participation in this years program.
If you have any students in mind please refer the to the issue on the
Giraph Jira instance.
Thank you
Lewis

On Monday, March 25, 2013, Claudio Martella <claudio.martella@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Lewis,
> I think an integration between the two projects is more than welcome. In
particular because it will give Giraph a bigger and stable user base to
provide insightful feedback about improvements, new features, and bugs.
> As I said, I currently do not see big blockers for the integration on our
side, so I can only say we welcome the effort and we are open to help the
student.

lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a huge apology to make on this one.
>> I thought that there was no interest in this proposal and therefore
dropped it for the time being.
>> I reach out specifically to Claudio and Eli respectively here and
apologise entirely for not getting back to you guys.

>> So the questions (respectively) were the following
>>
>> I do not see a direct connection between giraph and nutch, except if you
want to run ranking/PageRank on the indexed stuff. But in that case, the
integration is quite trivial and boils down to the inputformat. Could you
develop your ideas further please?
>> Like an internship project? I might know some people. Or did you have
someone in mind?

>> My answers are as follows
>>
>> We anticipate the delegation of our LinkRank (PageRank implementation)
mechanism a graph library like Apache Giraph. This could remove a bit of
code from Nutch and would hopefully be more efficient. I am well aware of
your contributions to Nutch Claudio :0) I think that your input here would
be extremely helpful in helping us get this off of the ground. You can read
a bit more about the justification behind this here. [0]
>> The Google Summer of Code project runs every year and I have been
getting interested and involved in it these last few years. I was looking
for the following

>> Someone who is a student as of this May
>> Someone who is interested in working with Giraph for graph processing
(ideally an existing member of the Giraph community however this is not a
MUST).
>> Someone who is interested in a Page Rank implementation within Giraph
which could be utilised within Nutch (ideally also familiar with graph
structures produced by a crawler such as Nutch... however again not a MUST).

>> Honestly if you have any potential student candidates in mind, please
reach out to them.

>> Additionally any feedback on the above would be excellent. I appreciate
that this reply is well, well overdue but I think the project would be a
great one to get off the ground and could be the beginning of forming a
nice bridge between out communities.

--
*Lewis*