giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC 2013 Integration of Apache Giraph & Nutch
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2013 18:30:13 GMT
Hi Eli,
Thanks for your response... and if your able to reach out to potential
candidates this would be excellent.

I am working as PostDoc at Stanford so will be looking for students from
there as well.
I will keep this thread alive and would very much appreciate if you (and
others) are able to update it as well.
Giraph currently has no GSoC proposal, Nutch does. You can see all
proposals here (0).
I am tempted to log the issue right now.
It would be excellent if we could contribute something to both Giraph and
Nutch here.
Does anyone have an issue with me logging a Jira in Giraph?
Thank you
Lewis
(0) http://s.apache.org/0Xh

On Sunday, March 24, 2013, Eli Reisman <apache.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I have a couple folks in mind let me ask about it. They might not
> be previous Nutch or Giraph users as of now but would be very clever ;)
>

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <
> lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a huge apology to make on this one.
>> I thought that there was no interest in this proposal and therefore
dropped
>> it for the time being.
>> I reach out specifically to Claudio and Eli respectively here and
apologise
>> entirely for not getting back to you guys.
>>
>> So the questions (respectively) were the following
>>
>>    1. I do not see a direct connection between giraph and nutch, except
if
>>    you want to run ranking/PageRank on the indexed stuff. But in that
case,
>>    the integration is quite trivial and boils down to the inputformat.
>> Could
>>    you develop your ideas further please?
>>    2. Like an internship project? I might know some people. Or did you
have
>>    someone in mind?
>>
>> My answers are as follows
>>
>>    1. We anticipate the delegation of our LinkRank (PageRank
>>    implementation) mechanism a graph library like Apache Giraph. This
could
>>    remove a bit of code from Nutch and would hopefully be more efficient.
>> I am
>>    well aware of your contributions to Nutch Claudio :0) I think that
your
>>    input here would be extremely helpful in helping us get this off of
the
>>    ground. You can read a bit more about the justification behind this
>> here.
>>    [0]
>>    2. The Google Summer of Code project runs every year and I have been
>>    getting interested and involved in it these last few years. I was
>> looking
>>    for the following
>>

>>    - Someone who is a student as of this May
>>    - Someone who is interested in working with Giraph for graph
processing
>>    (ideally an existing member of the Giraph community however this is
not
>>    MUST).
>>    - Someone who is interested in a Page Rank implementation within
Giraph

--
*Lewis*